The Journey of an Author - Avery Flynn



We have a wonderful treat today... Avery Flynn, author of  the Layton Family Series  has stopped by!

Tell me, were you a reader before you were a writer? What do you enjoy reading?
First, thanks so much for having me! I was, am and forever will be a reader. I love to read. My goal this year is to read 100 books. I’m about half way there, but I have a lot of ground to make up.

Is Passion Creek the first book you’ve written?
No, it’s actually the third book in my Layton Family Series. It’s the story of an uptight history professor, tattooed painter, buried treasure and a Vegas loan shark. It’s steamy, fast-paced action adventure romance. The best part is, I wrote all of the Layton books so they could be read in order or as a stand alone.

What where you particular inspirations the character development or character traits for Passion Creek?
I just love the strong and silent type - maybe because I am the total opposite. I would talk to a rock if the mood struck. However, Sam is very much the loner of the Layton clan. He’s so stuck in his ways that I knew I just had to find the right girl for him. When Josie Winarsky popped up in book two of the series, Seduction Creek, I just knew Sam had met his match.

There are many roads that lead to becoming a published author, each one littered with its own potholes. What was the most challenging aspect of writing Passion Creek? (dialogue, character development, creating names, etc)
Great question. There are always times when a book just doesn’t feel right. Something about the plot or the character just twists my stomach in the wrong way. Lucky for me I have a great group of critique parters who always help me out.

How did you tackle this challenge?
First, acknowledge something isn’t right. This can be hard because every writer is trying their hardest to write the best book possible. Second, leave it alone. Come back and see if it’s still making you twitch. Third, get an outside opinion. Often a fresh pair of eyes will see what you’ve missed.

Being an author is so much more than just writing a good story. Besides writing the story, what is one of the most difficult things you’ve encountered on your journey as a published author? What helped you get a handle on it?
Getting enough coffee in my bloodstream? :) Actually I think one of the hardest things is time management. If I could I’d be writing, chatting via social media and researching all at the same time. And doing each of them well. :) However, life doesn’t work that way so the best thing I’ve learned to do is to set daily writing goals, turn off my e-mail and social media notifications and get my butt in the seat. Works every time.


Avery, thank you for coming today and sharing a little of your experience with us, for helping us avoid a few potholes on the journey to becoming a published author.

Thanks so much for having me!





1 comment: